The flight from Antarctica back to New Zealand was on an Air Force C-17. It certainly was louder than the Airbus (had to wear earplugs) and had very few windows, but it was still pretty cool. They had about 20 seats bolted to the floor in the front-center of the cargo compartment (and some jump seats on the side). There was a little cargo in the back (the plane is full of supplies on the way down, but comes back relatively empty), but there was a huge empty space that we could walk around in.
| Easily enough room for a basketball half-court. |
I've got a little work to do today, but I'll spend the afternoon doing a bit more sightseeing. I'll post another blog entry sometime after I get back and maybe a couple more updates on how the gliders are doing. I'm ready to be home now (which won't be for another 2 1/2 days...if travel goes well), but it's been an amazing trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment